Bell McKinnon Neighbourhood Plan
The Official Community Plan (OCP) places the Bell McKinnon area within the Urban Containment Boundaries, designating it as a growth centre. North Cowichan is undertaking a Local Area Plan (LAP) to ensure that the Bell-McKinnon area is developed in an orderly and consistent way, and that servicing and infrastructure are planned for.
Cowichan District Hospital
The Cowichan Valley Regional Hospital District (CVRHD) applied to North Cowichan in late 2015 to rezone three properties in the Bell McKinnon area (6751, 6771 and 6793 Bell McKinnon Road) to facilitate the future construction of a new Cowichan District Hospital.
- On April 20, 2016, Council gave first reading to Zoning Amendment Bylaw 3618, to rezone 6751, 6771 and 6793 Bell McKinnon Road from R1 (rural residential) to CD11((Community Services (Health Care) Comprehensive Development Zone)). The staff report and draft bylaw can be viewed below.
- On June 15, 2016, Council gave second reading to Zoning Amendment Bylaw 3618. The staff report included early results of the Neighbourhood Planning process. The staff report and draft bylaw can be viewed below.
- A Public Hearing for Zoning Amendment Bylaw 3618 was held on Wednesday, June 29 in Council Chambers at Municipal Hall. A summary of the Public Hearing is available below. Following the Public Hearing, Council gave third reading to Zoning Amendment Bylaw 3618.
- On July 20, 2016, Council adopted Zoning Amendment Bylaw 3618 and attached a restrictive covenant that prohibits construction of any building on or use of the properties until a comprehensive local area plan has been completed and adopted by North Cowichan.
At this time, construction of a new hospital is not anticipated to commence for at least 5 years, possibly longer. For more information, please refer to the CVRHD webpage.
Bell McKinnon Local Area Plan
Upon receipt of the CVRHD's rezoning application, North Cowichan staff initiated a high-level neighourhood planning process for the Bell McKinnon area. However, members of the community have voiced a desire to see the development of a more comprehensive and detailed plan for the area. Council has tentatively identified funding in the 2017 budget for this project and once funding is confirmed, staff will bring forward a Terms of Reference for the project.
If you would like to receive updates and notifications about this process, please sign up here.
On March 31, 2016, residents and the public were invited to attend an open house to learn about the neighbourhood planning process, provide input, and ask questions of staff and Councillors. A summary of what we heard at that meeting and materials presented at the open house are available below.
There will be numerous additional opportunities for residents and the public to provide their input during the LAP process. Consultation details will be added to this page as activities are scheduled.
The public can send comments/questions/concerns at any time to email@example.com.
Documents and Information
- Staff Report and Zoning Amendment Bylaw 3618 [PDF - 58 MB] - from adoption on July 20, 2016 (see pp. 51-59 for report).
- Minutes from Public Hearing for Zoning Amendment Bylaw 3618 (June 29, 2016) [PDF - 104 KB]
- Staff Report and Zoning Amendment Bylaw 3618 [PDF - 655 KB] - from second reading on June 15, 2016
- Staff Report and Zoning Amendment Bylaw 3618 [PDF - 535 KB] - from first reading on April 20, 2016
- "What We Heard" [PDF - 297 KB] - Summary of feedback received at March 31, 2016 Open House
- Materials from March 31, 2016 Open House:
- Storyboard information panels [PDF - 4.4 MB]
- Discussion/feedback questions [PDF - 81 KB]
- Handout [PDF - 197 KB]
- Evaluation form [DOC - 55 KB]
- Terms of Reference for the Neighbourhood Plan and Servicing Study [PDF - 534 KB], as approved by Council on February 17, 2016.
- CVRD webpage for the proposed new Cowichan District Hospital.