Bell McKinnon Local Area Plan
Bell McKinnon Local Area Plan
The Local Area Plan is underway! Members of the community have voiced a desire to see the development of a more comprehensive and detailed plan for the area. If you would like to receive updates and notifications about this process, please sign up here.
Join the conversation on PlaceSpeak: www.placespeak.com/BellMcKinnon to provide feedback and learn more about the plan!
The Next Public Event:
A Public Gallery will be taking place April 11th, from 4:00 - 7:00 pm at the BC Forest Discovery Centre. All are welcome to drop in to share feedback and comment on the scenarios and directions generated from the workshop and initial input. Following this, the Project Team will develop a draft Local Area Plan to be presented in an Open House some time in May, and then we will send to Council for adoption.
The Official Community Plan (OCP) places the Bell McKinnon area within the Urban Containment Boundaries, designating it as a growth centre. North Cowichan is undertaking a Local Area Plan (LAP) to ensure that the Bell-McKinnon area is developed in an orderly and consistent way, and that servicing and infrastructure are planned for.
Cowichan District Hospital
On July 20, 2016, Council adopted Zoning Amendment Bylaw 3618 and attached a restrictive covenant that prohibits construction of any building on or use of the properties until a comprehensive local area plan has been completed and adopted by North Cowichan.
At this time, construction of a new hospital is not anticipated to commence for at least 5 years, possibly longer. For more information, please refer to the CVRHD webpage.
On January 31, 2018, about 130 residents and the public attended an Ideas Fair to learn about the plan area and to tell the project team about:
- specific needs in the community today,
- local knowledge about assets and strengths,
- important principles to follow in developing the plan,
- the importance of a health precinct in the community,
- preferred future land use and transportation formats, and
- independent visions for the neighbourhood.
There will be numerous additional opportunities for residents and the public to provide their input during the LAP process. Consultation details will be added to this page as activities are scheduled.
The public can send comments/questions/concerns at any time to email@example.com.
Documents and Information
- Staff Report and Zoning Amendment Bylaw 3618 [PDF - 58 MB] - from adoption on July 20, 2016 (see pp. 51-59 for report).
- Minutes from Public Hearing for Zoning Amendment Bylaw 3618 (June 29, 2016) [PDF - 104 KB]
- Staff Report and Zoning Amendment Bylaw 3618 [PDF - 655 KB] - from second reading on June 15, 2016
- Staff Report and Zoning Amendment Bylaw 3618 [PDF - 535 KB] - from first reading on April 20, 2016
- "What We Heard" [PDF - 297 KB] - Summary of feedback received at March 31, 2016 Open House
- Materials from March 31, 2016 Open House:
- Storyboard information panels [PDF - 4.4 MB]
- Discussion/feedback questions [PDF - 81 KB]
- Handout [PDF - 197 KB]
- Evaluation form [DOC - 55 KB]
- Terms of Reference for the Neighbourhood Plan and Servicing Study [PDF - 534 KB], as approved by Council on February 17, 2016.
- CVRD webpage for the proposed new Cowichan District Hospital.