Community Space Expression of Interest
Council has allocated up to 3300 square feet on the ground floor of the proposed mixed-use building at 9800 Willow Street for community use. In order to provide a fair and transparent process for selecting occupants, Council has endorsed an Expression of Interest process.
How to submit an Expression of Interest:
- Answer all of the questions in the Expression of Interest Application Form [DOC - 170 KB]
- Include a copy of the organization's most recent financial statement (an audited financial statement is preferred)
- Include copies of any diagrams, business plans, or financial plans referenced in application responses
- Submit the completed application and supporting documents by 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, August 16, 2017
- Sealed Expressions of Interest can be submitted by email or in-person to:
- Mark Ruttan, Director of Corporate Services/Deputy CAO
Municipality of North Cowichan
7030 Trans Canada Highway
Duncan, BC V9L 3X4
From July 10 - 28, please contact Kyle Young, Assistant Manager of Planning and Sustainability, with any questions about this process, at (250) 746-3178.
From July 31 - August 16, please contact Natasha Horsman, Community Planning Coordinator, with any questions about this process, at (250) 746-3156.
Details of the Opportunity
There will be approximately 1,800 square feet available fronting Willow Street, and approximately 1,500 square feet available at the rear of the building, for a total of approximately 3,300 square feet. These spaces could be utilized separatedly or in a coordinated manner, but applicants should note that the spaces are partially physically separated by an elevator corridor that limits the connectivity.
Obligations of the Applicant
The successful occupier will enter into an agreement with the Municipality to access and manage this community space rent-free for a minimum of ten (10) years. The occupier must be able to:
- Pay for the finishing and customization of the space, including lighting, flooring, window coverings, paint, appliances and furnishings, etc.
- Pay for a proportion of the building's operating costs (e.g. utilities, maintenance, etc), estimated at approximately $3,300/month for the entire space (or $1,800/month for the 1,800 square foot space and $1,500/month for the 1,500 square foot space). Please note: these costs are preliminary and are expected to be refined as the project moves forward.
- Pay for the delivery of proposed programs and activities