How do I apply for a business license?
Business Licence applications take approximately one week to process. The following is the process for applying for a Business Licence:
- complete application [PDF - 106 KB] and submit with payment;
- approval from Planning Department for zoning;
- approval from Building Department for any deficiencies; and
- approval by our Business Licence Inspector.
We recommend that you contact our office before signing any lease or purchase agreement, to receive your approval prior to making any commitment to a specific location.
How much does a business licence cost?
Business licence fees are as follows:
- Yearly Licence Fee $100.00
- Inter-Community Licence Fee $150
- Late Fee (after February 28) $25.00
- Pro-Rated Fee (after July 1) $50.00
Is my business licence good for the whole valley or just North Cowichan?
The District of North Cowichan has entered into a co-operative agreement for business licences with the following organizations:
- City of Duncan
- Town of Ladysmith
- Town of Lake Cowichan
What is an Inter-Community Business Licence?
Mayor and Council passed Bylaw 3525 “Inter-Community Business Licence Bylaw”. Effective January 1, 2014, a business that has a current, up-to-date licence is eligible to obtain an Inter-Community Licence that will allow them to carry on business within the participating areas for an additional fee of $150.00. Please contact our office at (250)746-3100 if you are a mobile business and would like to obtain more information.
City of Campbell River City of Port Alberni
City of Courtenay Town of Comox
City of Nanaimo Town of Qualicum Beach
City of Parksville Village of Cumberland
Did you know that there is no hotel tax in North Cowichan?