Bylaw Services helps support public safety and compliance with municipal bylaws and foster a safe, healthy, and respectful community. Bylaw Compliance Officers identify, investigate, mediate and resolve bylaw violations and provide enforcement services to all communities within North Cowichan, with the guidance of the Bylaw Compliance and Enforcement Policy. Their goal is compliance with bylaws through public education and awareness, while protecting the rights of residents. Bylaw Compliance Officers will work with those willing to correct infractions however officers have a range of tools to ensure compliance ranging from issuing tickets (Bylaw Offence Notice, Municipal Ticket, or Offence Act Prosecution) to obtaining court orders and injunctions. The majority of the bylaws are enforced on a complaint only basis.
- The Bylaw Compliance and Enforcement Policy provides additional information about how Bylaw Services responds to complaints and seeks to obtain compliance.
Report a violation
If your complaint concerns a neighbour, it is recommended that you attempt to resolve the issue before contacting Bylaw Services for assistance.
- Online (click here to download the form)
- Phone: 250-746-3108
Complaints must include your name, address, phone number and relationship to the property or individual that you’re making the complaint about. This information is strictly confidential and won’t be released to anyone without your consent, or if required in a court of law through due process. Incomplete forms and anonymous complaints will not be considered.
Pay a ticket
View multiple ways to pay your Bylaw Offence Notice or Municipal Ticket.
Dispute a ticket
- For information on the Bylaw Offence Notice, visit Disputing a Bylaw Offence Notice.
- For information on the Municipal Ticket Information System, visit Disputing a Municipal Ticket.
- Dog licences and animal responsibility
- Apply for a Business Licence
- Nuisance properties, weeds, and graffiti