Chemainus Road Corridor Upgrade Project
North Cowichan is upgrading a portion of Chemainus Road between Henry and Victoria Roads to improve the accessibility and safety of this main road. The Chemainus Road upgrade project was first proposed and envisioned by the community through the development of the 2011 Chemainus Town Centre Revitalization Plan and will occur in phases.
- September 24, 2020: Periodic Delays and Detours Expected on Chemainus and River Roads as Construction Continues
- June 26: Contract Awarded for Phase Two of Chemainus Road Corridor Upgrade
- June 12: Phase One of Chemainus Road Corridor Upgrade Project Completed
- May 8, 2020: Notice of Temporary Road Closure - River Road (between Chemainus Road & Front Street)
- January 22, 2020: Chemainus Road Upgrade Project Goes Ahead
Construction Timeline Information:
CopCan Civil Ltd. was awarded the tender for Phase One of this project which kicked off in mid-November 2019 and largely consisted of upgrading underground utilities. Additional road-widening work was carried out that required lands to be acquired from Western Forest Products and Mosaic Timber Management. In January 2020, an agreement allowing North Cowichan to acquire these lands was reached allowing the project to move forward. Phase One construction was completed in mid-June 2020, despite the challenge posed by the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.
At the end of June, Milestone Contracting was awarded the tender for Phase Two of this project and work began shortly thereafter. This phase of the project will include a new roundabout, sidewalk, paved bike lanes, and newly paved roadway; landscaping and rain gardens; new signage; new fencing on the east side of Chemainus Road; and more. Construction is projected to be completed in winter 2020.
Construction will usually end at 5:30 pm each day and not occur on weekends unless it is absolutely necessary. Every effort will be made to keep both lanes open at all times, including the use of detours and alternating traffic where applicable. However, during this phase of the project, residents and commuters can expect some disruptions, including single-lane traffic, minor delays, and detours.
- Summary Project Information Sheet [PDF - 694 KB] (August 2019)
- Community Open House Presentation [PDF - 2 MB] (August 2019)
- Summary of What We Heard at Community Open House [PDF - 294 KB] (August 2019)
- Chemainus Road Conceptual Design (Victoria St to River Rd) [PDF - 790 KB]
- Chemainus Road Conceptual Design (River Rd to Henry Rd) [PDF - 591 KB]
- Chemainus Road Cross Section (Victoria St to Henry Rd) [PDF - 341 KB].
- Chemainus Road Corridor Upgrade Design.pdf [PDF - 595 KB
- New Roundabout at Chemainus and River Road Design.pdf [PDF - 202 KB]
For more information:
Manager, Infrastructure and Engineering