What Does it Change?
What Does Climate Change Change?
- Higher temperatures melt ice which causes sea levels to rise
- There is less fresh water for drinking
- The ocean becomes less liveable (marine animals die)
- Seasons and habitats change (animals can't live here anymore and we get more pests like pine beetles)
- Salmon don't return from the ocean (important for forests, food, humans, and animals)
- Extreme Weather:
- heat waves, droughts, drier climate (forest fires)
- changing precipitation: flooding – 2009 flood in Cowichan Valley
- Some people in colder areas say things like “I would love to wear shorts in the winter” but don't think about how these changes will affect those already living in really hot places.