Master Transportation Plan
We are currently updating our Master Transportation Plan to improve transportation options across our communities for people of all ages and abilities.
The Plan, which will guide the North Cowichan's decisions related to all aspects of the transportation network over the next 30 years, will include a vision for the future of our transportation network, and goals that reflect our community’s priorities.
Climate action is a critical focus area for the Master Transportation Plan. North Cowichan is committed to reducing emissions through its Climate Action & Energy Plan and a key aspect of addressing climate action will be to reduce transportation-related emissions and putting sustainable transportation at the forefront.
The Master Transportation Plan project is split into three phases:
PHASE 1 – Existing Conditions & Background & Framework
March 2021-May 2021
This first phase focuses on understanding the existing conditions of our transportation network, as well as our community’s transportation priorities.
The project team is reviewing existing policies and documents, and conducting technical assessments. We will be engaging with key organizations through interviews, and gathering broad public input through a public survey. This phase also includes a Household Travel Survey, which will be by random selection of a representative sample of households in North Cowichan. The survey will be used to develop a transportation model that reflects residents’ travel patterns.
This phase will also kick off consultation with Lake Cowichan First Nation, Cowichan Tribes, Halalt First Nation, Stz’uminus First Nation, Snuneymuxw First Nation, Penelakut Tribe First Nation and Lyackson First Nation, which will be ongoing throughout the project process.
Phase 1 Outputs:
- The draft technical paper and presentation to Council can be viewed in the June 21, 2021 agenda, here:
- Presentation to Council: pages 3-20
- Draft technical paper: pages 21-127
PHASE 2 – Network Assessment and Plan Development
June 2021-October 2021
Phase 2 dives deeper into refining the community vision and goals, transportation network options and initial policies.
The project team will conduct transportation modelling work, develop initial policy ideas, and engage key organizations through a workshop. The public will have an opportunity provide input in Phase 2 through a second online survey.
PHASE 3 – Draft Plan
Building off what we’ve learned from Phase 2, the project team will complete a draft Master Transportation Plan in Phase 3. This phase will include a public online open house to present the draft plan and gather your feedback. The results of this and other engagement activities will be summarized in a final, Phase 3 Report and the Plan will be further refined for presentation to Council.
WAYS TO GET INVOLVED
Whether you walk, drive, cycle or roll, we want to hear from you! Here is how you can get involved and stay informed:
- Household Travel Survey - if you have received a survey notification letter, you may log in to the survey with your secure access code at nctravelsurvey.ca. Results from this unique survey will be used to develop a transportation model that reflects residents’ travel patterns.
- The public survey is now closed. Thank you to everyone who took the time to complete the Phase 1 Public Survey! Your input will be included in a report back to Council in June 2021.
- Sign up for North Cowichan's Updates & News e-newsletter
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter (@NorthCowichan) for updates and events!
Questions? Please contact:
Director, Engineering Projects
Municipality of North Cowichan