We are updating your Official Community Plan and we want to hear from you! Let's “ThinkForward” together.
- For detailed information on services offered by Cowichan Valley Regional Transit System, information about transit in other BC communities, or for general BC Transit information, please visit the Cowichan Valley Regional Transit System website.
- You can also visit the Cowichan Valley Regional District website.
- Please note: decisions about fares, routes and service levels are made by Cowichan Valley Regional District based on information and planning provided by BC Transit.
Walk, Run, Bike
Reducing our reliance on cars not only improves air quality and reduces emissions, but also saves you money and improves everyone's health!
Here are some energy and health wise tips:
- Leave your car behind: Try leaving your car in the driveway for just one trip a week. Walking and jogging are simple alternatives to driving and great ways to get in shape.
- Save on gas and vehicle maintenance: Reducing your use of cars means more money in your pocket and can reduce yearly maintenance costs.
- Walk/cycle with the kids to school: If you're within walking or cycling range of your child's school or activities, join them on their travels. This way, you all get extra family time and your heart gets a workout too!
- Save on gym fees: For most people, walking for only 30 minutes burns 150-235 calories and walking or cycling for 30 minutes can also reduce risks of heart disease by up to half!
- Share what you've learned about the environmental and health benefits with your kids and get them involved in planning a car-free day.
North Cowichan trails and bike-friendly paths
- Cowichan Bio-diesel Co-op: As the fastest growing alternative fuel in Europe, bio-diesel is a safe, easy to use, and green alternative to regular diesel. This Co-op provides bio-diesel for purchase and is also working on various other green initiatives. For more information please visit the Cowichan Bio-diesel Co-op website.
- Carpooling: If you still need to commute by car, try to find others who are traveling the same route and who can carpool with you. This not only saves the number of cars travelling on the road, and thus reduces pollution, but also saves you money and car maintenance.
- Plan your trips: By planning your trips in advance, you can reduce the number of trips you make. Simple things like making a list and doing errands in an efficient order can save you lots of gas and help reduce pollution.