Council and staff are in the process of creating the budget for 2018. Each year as part of the budget process, choices must be made to balance the needs and wants within the municipality. The draft budget is based on Council’s direction to focus the budget on delivering priority projects, maintaining existing service levels, planning for infrastructure renewal, and delivering targeted community revitalization projects.
Council and staff will host a series of three public meetings on the draft 2018 budget. These will take place at the end of October 2017 and will be held in Crofton, Chemainus, one meeting in the municpality's South End area this year at Island Savings Centre.
Your participation is an essential part of the process. We want to hear your input and your priorities for the upcoming year. By joining the conversation in October, you can impact the final budget for 2018.
Please join us from 6:00 - 8:00pm for one of these three public meetings to learn about the draft 2018 budget and what it means for you!
- October 23, 2017 - Island Savings Centre ("Cowichan Suite/Mesachie Room")
- October 25, 2017 - Crofton Community Centre
- October 26, 2017 - Chemainus Seniors' Centre
Learn & Engage: Drop-in Open House - 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Town Hall Meeting: Q&A with the Mayor & staff - 7:00 - 8:00 p.m.
Budget 2018 Documents
- Budget 2018: What We Heard - Report on Community Input [PDF - 1.5MB] - a report back to citizens and those who particpated in the Budget 2018 public engagement process.
- Budget 2018 Town Hall Meetings: Summary of Public Engagement [PDF - 629 KB]
- The 2018-2022 Capital Expenditure Program [PDF - 265 KB] provides a specific review of the draft capital expenditures that were presented to Council. Capital costs include money spent on acquiring or maintaining fixed assets, such as land, buildings, and equipment.
- The 2018-2022 Budget Review [PDF - 301 KB] provides an overview of the draft financial allocations that were presented to Council.
- 2018-2022 Utility Review [PDF - 168 KB]
- 2018 Operating Budget [PDF - 23.8 MB]
- 2018 Budget Book [PDF - 23.8 MB]
Meeting Schedule - 2018 Budget Process
|August 16, 2017||Council Meeting||Budget Outlook and preliminary Council guidance on budget||1:30 PM|
|October 23, 2017||Public Meeting||Island Savings Centre||6 - 8:00 PM|
|October 25, 2017||Public Meeting||Crofton Community Centre||6 - 8:00 PM|
|October 26, 2017||Public Meeting||Chemainus Seniors' Centre||6 - 8:00 PM|
|November 6, 2017||Committee of the Whole (COW)||Council Update on Public Meetings and review guidance on budget. Initial Operating Budget presented to Council||6:00 PM|
|November 14, 2017||Public Works Committee (PWC)||Public Works Committee reviews Roads & Sidewalks Capital Program||12 noon|
|November 27, 2017||COW||Financial Plan and proposed Capital Expenditure Plan (2018 - 2022)||6:00 PM|
|December 4, 2017||COW||Grant-in Aid review and approval||6:00 PM|
|December 11, 2017||COW||Review Financial Plan and proposed Utility Budgets and Rates||6:00 PM|
|December 18, 2017||COW||Review Financial Plan and Capital Expenditure Plan||6:00 PM|
|March 5, 2018||COW||
Workshop on distribution of tax rates
|March 19, 2018||COW||Tax Distribution||6:00 PM|
|April 9, 2018||COW||
Finalize tax rates
|April 18, 2018||Council Meeting||Tax Rates Bylaw introduced for first three readings||1:30 PM|
|May 2, 2018||Council Meeting||Adopt Tax Rates and Financial Plan Bylaws||1:30 PM|
Can't join us in person? No problem! Have your say about Budget 2018 on PlaceSpeak: