Category 2 & 3 fires are banned in North Cowichan effective 12pm May 18. Small campfires are still permitted at this time.
Firewood & Salal Permits
The Municipality of North Cowichan through its Forestry Program sells firewood and salal permits to residents of North Cowichan for the removal of firewood from Municipal Forest Reserve (MFR) lands. The Forestry Program also manages lesser vegetation on MFR lands by selling permits to control the harvesting of salal.
**THERE ARE NO FIREWOOD PERMITS AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME**
Currently the Firewood Program is suspended following the completion of the Municipal Forest Review. For more information on the forestry review including public engagement, please visit Forestry Review.
The Municipal Forester decides when there are firewood permits available, how many, and in what area.
- $30 per cord, plus GST
- Only one cord per household, per week, for personal use only
- Must be a resident of North Cowichan
- Firewood Permits are only sold for two consecutive days
- Cannot be reserved - first come, first served
- Will need to provide the licence plate number of the vehicle you will be using to remove the wood, along with the make and model
- Required to carry the permit at all times while you are removing the wood
- May be required to carry some firefighting equipment (fire extinguisher, shovel, etc.)
- Maps available
- Accessible by two-wheel drive or four-wheel drive vehicles
Locations (differs depending on availability of firewood)
- Mount Prevost
- Mount Sicker
Lesser Vegetation Permits
$60 per permit, plus GST. Permit is valid for one month. If you have not held a permit before, you must speak with the Municipal Forester before a permit will be issued.
- Cedar and Pine Boughs