Learn about the 2024 municipal budget, and let us know if you have any questions about the services your tax dollars pay for.
Recreation and aquatics
Join our recreation and aquatics team
The Municipality of North Cowichan is the largest municipality in the Cowichan Valley, and our recreation and aquatic facilities serve people from all corners of the valley.
- The Cowichan Aquatic Centre is a destination recreation facility with a leisure pool, lap pool, water slides, sauna, steam room and swirl pool. A weight and fitness room are also on site.
- Fuller Lake Arena includes an indoor ice rink, plus spaces for recreation and fitness activities.
- Crofton Outdoor Pool and Fuller Lake Beach are both staffed by lifeguards during the summer months.
Job and career opportunities in recreation and aquatics are as varied as our patrons! Entry level positions are always open for applications:
- Aquatic Attendants: This entry level aquatics position is perfect for students who are looking for part time hours. You must be at least 15 years of age, completed grade 8, and have Bronze Cross and Standard First Aid. Responsibilities include operating the water slides and assisting in other areas of the facility.
- Lifeguard/Instructor: This position is a great fit for experienced swimmers looking for part-time or casual work. Responsibilities include ensuring a safe and enjoyable experience in the various pool areas by providing on-deck observations and water rescue, assisting in the delivery of a wide range of aquatic programs and events, and teaching swimming lessons. You must be at least 16 years of age, completed grade 10, and have National Lifeguard - Pool Option & Waterpark Option, Lifesaving Society Swim for Life, and Standard First Aid.
- Program Leader: You get paid to play! These are casual or seasonal positions that are perfect for those who love to work with youth and various age groups while planning, organizing, and leading fun activities and recreational programs. More information on skill requirements can be found in the specific job posting(s) listed on our careers page.
- Skate Shop Helper (seasonal): This is a casual position that is perfect for students or experienced skaters of various ages looking for part time hours during the fall and winter. You must have completed grade 10 and have your Standard First Aid Certificate. This position includes teaching skate lessons, ice patrol, skate shop operation, program delivery and providing customer service to our various on-ice patrons.
These entry level positions are just the beginning! These roles can lead to many more rewarding career options in recreation.
All recreation and aquatic positions offer opportunities for additional training and experience. Learn more about recreation and aquatic courses and certifications:
How to apply
If you are interested in joining the recreation or aquatics teams with North Cowichan, visit www.northcowichan.ca/jobs for current opportunities. You can also sign up for job alerts to receive notifications about newly posted positions.