Firewood & Salal Permits
The Municipality of North Cowichan through its Forestry Program sells firewood and salal permits to residents of North Cowichan for the removal of firewood from Municipal Forest Reserve (MFR) lands. The Forestry Program also manages lesser vegetation on MFR lands by selling permits to control the harvesting of salal.
Availability for permits varies daily; call the Municipal Hall (250-746-3100) to enquire about our current permits available.
The Municipal Forester decides when there are firewood permits available, how many, and in what area.
- $30 per cord, plus GST
- Only one cord per household, per week, for personal use only
- Must be a resident of North Cowichan
- Firewood Permits are only sold for two consecutive days
- Cannot be reserved - first come, first served
- Will need to provide the licence plate number of the vehicle you will be using to remove the wood, along with the make and model
- Required to carry the permit at all times while you are removing the wood
- May be required to carry some firefighting equipment (fire extinguisher, shovel, etc.)
- Maps available
- Accessible by two-wheel drive or four-wheel drive vehicles
Locations (differs depending on availability of firewood)
- Mount Prevost
- Mount Sicker
Lesser Vegetation Permits
$60 per permit, plus GST. Permit is valid for one month.
- Cedar and Pine Boughs