Housing Needs Assessment
As of April 2019, local governments are provincially required to develop and publish housing needs reports. In doing so, local governments and the provincial government can better understand and address housing needs throughout B.C. The Cowichan Valley Regional District is developing a Regional Housing Needs Assessment in partnership with the Municipality of North Cowichan and the three other member municipalities; Town of Ladysmith, City of Duncan and Town of Lake Cowichan. This work is being completed for each electoral area and member municipality.
The Housing Needs Reports funding program, administered by the Union of BC Municipalities (UBCM), supports local governments in undertaking housing needs reports in order to meet the provincial requirements.
A housing needs assessment will help us understand what kinds of housing are most needed in our region’s communities now and in the future, which will help inform the official community plan and development decisions.
What Is a Housing Needs Assessment?
Your life is a journey, but can your housing keep up? Our lives change, our needs shift
and our housing stock needs to reflect that. Housing needs reports aim to identify
current and predicted gaps in housing supply by collecting and analyzing quantitative
and qualitative information about:
- Current and projected population
- Household income
- Significant economic sectors
- Currently available and anticipated housing units
A completed report is required to contain statements about key needs, the number and type of housing units required and the number of households in core and extreme core housing needs.
More information on Provincial housing needs reports and requirements can be found here.
Project Next Steps
The process includes the following steps:
- Getting Ready- Developing our Communications and Engagement Strategy and Undertaking Background Research: May-July 2020
- Information Gathering- Data Analysis and Projections: July-September 2020
- Community Engagement- Online questionnaire, targeted interviews and focus groups: August-September 2020
- Compiling Findings- Submitting Draft Report: November 2020
- Presenting Findings- Finalize and Present Housing Needs Assessment: November 2020- January 2021
- Submitting and Posting Final Report- January 2021
Stay up to date on project information, activities and events here.
The path to housing tomorrow starts with your input today.
Thank you for your feedback! The online questionnaire concluded in October 2020. Additional information can be found at www.PlaceSpeak.com/HousingNeeds.
CVRD Community Planning