Download the Curbside Collection App
View schedules, receive reminders, and use our waste wizard to learn how to dispose of other waste. For iPhone/iOS and Android mobile devices.
Curbside Collection Service
North Cowichan provides Recycling, Garbage and Organics Curbside Collection services. Please view these pages for program-specific questions. General collection questions can be answered via our Frequently Asked Questions below. If your collection was missed or you have an issue to report, please contact the Operations department at (250) 746-3106 or fill out our online Feedback Form.
New 2018-2020 Curbside Collection Schedules were mailed in April 2018 to all property owners. To find your route plus other helpful information, please use the Schedule and Waste Wizard at the top of this page. View 2018-2020 schedule [PDF - 578 KB]
How to read your schedule
There are 5 collection zones in North Cowichan, each with A and B routes. The legend at the top of the calendar (see reverse side) shows a check mark next to the zone and route for your property. The shape on the calendar corresponds to that date’s collection items. Kitchen Organics are collected every week, while Recycling and Garbage collection are on alternating weeks.
In this example, dates with green squares corespond to Garbage days, whereas dates with green circles are Recyling days.
- I have just moved here – what do I need to know about curbside collection?
- When is my collection day?
- What time do I have to have my containers to the curb?
- Why do I have to have my food waste, garbage and recyclables out by 8 a.m. when the truck doesn't come by until later in the day?
- Does my collection day stay the same? or What happens when there is a holiday?
- How/Where do I get the proper curbside collection containers?
- Does the Municipality collect yard waste?
- What if there is adverse weather?
If you are moving into an existing single family home, you will be included in the curbside program. If you have built a new house, you will automatically be put on the program when your occupancy permit is issued. Your collection schedule can be found by viewing Schedules, and further details of the program are orgainized into Recycling, Garbage and Organics pages.
Collection days are determined by zone – organics every week with recycling and garbage on alternating weeks example organics and garbage one week, organics and recycle the next. Your zone and collection schedule can be found by using the "My Schedules" tab of the Waste Wizard (located at the top of all Curbside Collection pages) and searching your address. Hard copy schedules convey 2 year periods and are mailed out to all property owners in April of the ending year.
Please place materials curbside by 8 a.m. The order in which the contractor completes the pickup route may change due to construction or other unforeseen circumstances. The contractor is obligated to collect materials on the day specified on your schedule but there is no set time for curbside collection.
Why do I have to have my food waste, garbage and recyclables out by 8 a.m. when the truck doesn't come by until later in the day?
The order that the contractor does the routes can change without notice. The contractor is obliged to collect your waste on your collection day but the time is not specified. If you put your green bin, garbage or recyclables out after 8 a.m. and the truck has already passed your house, it will not be picked up.
No, collection days skip a day each time there is a holiday. Your collection zone (A or B) determines which week your garbage is collected, organics are collected every week. If you are unsure, Your zone and collection schedule can be found by using the "My Schedules" tab of the Waste Wizard (located at the top of all Curbside Collection pages) and searching your address or call 250-746-3106 (Monday–Friday, 8:30am–4:00pm) to provide your address for staff to look up.
For kitchen scraps Green bins manufactured by Orbis/Norseman must be used. They are sold at the following locations:
- Canadian Tire (2929 Green Rd)
- Home Depot (1-2980 Drinkwater Rd)
Recycle containers need to be clearly labeled to avoid confusion. Municipal Hall has yellow recycling stickers for containers free of charge and yellow bags for $2.00 each. Acceptable recycle ccontainers must:
- be designed to be manually lifted (no commercial totes/carts);
- have capacity no greater than 133 litres;
- not to exceed 20 kgs or 44 lbs (including contents) when placed at the curb for collection.
Garbage cans can be purchased at Home Depot, Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, Wal-Mart and similar locations. Acceptable garbage containers must:
- be designed to be manually lifted;
- have exterior side handles;
- have a removable watertight lid (do not attach lid with rope or bungee cords);
- have a capacity no greater than 77 litres;
- not exceed 16 kgs or 35 lbs (including contents) when placed at the curb for collection.
The Municipality does not collect yard waste at this time, but residents can be take it to Bings Creek or Peerless Road Recycling Centres year-round, free of charge.
- Bings Creek Solid Waste Management Complex (3900 Drinkwater Road, Duncan)
- Peerless Road Drop-off Depot (10830 Peerless Road, Ladysmith)
Severe winter weather, such as snowy and icy conditions or roads blocked by downed trees or power lines, may cause a temporary cancellation of curbside collection. Call (250) 746-3106 for more information.
Deceased pets or livestock are accepted at the Naniamo Regional Landfill. Make sure to call at least 24 hours in advance to inform them that you are coming (250-722-2044).