Thank you for assisting in conserving this vital resource for our community. Find out more information on Water Conservation, including sprinkling restrictions.

Need your water turned off?  Have a water leak?

To report a problem during office hours (Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.) please contact the Operations Department at (250) 746-3106.  The emergency contact line is by phone only. If calling after hours, please contact the After Hours Emergency Line at (250) 746-5112. Please view the Report a Problem page for further information and contact numbers.

Billing Inquiries

Meter reading change from February, June and October to
May, September and January.
To proceed with this change, we have estimated the readings for a 2 month cycle:  November and December 2018, based on half the usage of 2018-Cycle-1 “Nov 2017-Feb 2018”.

New 4 month excess billing cycles:
Cycle 1 January – April
Cycle 2 May – August
Cycle 3 September – December

Billing inquiries or questions about your water bill or meter reading should be directed to the Finance Department. Please contact the Utilities Clerk by phone 250.746.3100, or email finance@northcowichan.ca. Learn more about Water Accounts and the services North Cowichan provides.

General Water System Questions and Connections

For general information about North Cowichan's water systems and enquiries about connecting to municipal water, please contact the Engineering Department by phone 250.746.3103, or email engineering@northcowichan.ca.  Please do not email urgent or emergency messages to the Engineering Department regarding water service.

Boil Water Advisory

In the event of a Boil Water Advisory, please refer to these sources for more information:

  • North Cowichan Public Notices in Latest News or on our homepage.
  • Register for eALERT to be informed of advisories via email, text and/or phone.
  • Call North Cowichan’s Operations Info Line at 250.746.3106.
  • Call Island Health (Vancouver Island Health Authority) at 250.737.2010.
  • Monitor local radio, television, and newspapers.
  • Watch for updates on Public Bulletin Boards and Community Mailboxes.
  • Visit Island Health/VIHA Boil Water Notices webpage.  

Water Accounts

Paying your Bill

Upon receipt of your bill for any excess charges, multiple forms of payment are available and can be viewed at Payment Locations

Residential Water

The flat rate charge for water is included with the property taxes. The water meter is read three times per year, once in January, May and September. Residents are allowed 28,000 imperial gallons or 126 cubic meters consumption for a four month cycle, per user. If you go over those amounts, you will receive a separate bill for the excess charges.

Commercial Water

Commercial water customers are billed quarterly for both their flat rate charge and any applicable excess charges. Commercial Users are allowed 21,000 imperial gallons or 95 cubic meters consumption for a three month cycle, per user. If you go over those amounts, your quarterly bill will include excess charges.

Excess Water Consumption

The allowable amount of water included with your base rate is 7,000 imperial gallons or 31 cubic meters per month. Using more than these base amounts of water is above the residential municipal average and may indicate that you have a leak in your water system. The Municipality has an ongoing Water Conservation Program and we encourage users to repair leaks quickly and reduce excess consumption.

As the resident owner of the property, it is your responsibility to check for a leak. To do this, you must first make sure that there is no water being used in the house. Look at the meter to see if it is spinning and if it is, it's possible that you have a leak. If you do not know where your meter is located on your property, contact our office and ask for the Utilities Clerk. Once you have fixed the leak, take a meter reading, call North Cowichan and speak with the Utilities Clerk about writing a letter or email to get a possible reduction of up to 50% of your excess bill. No water excess reduction will be approved for leaks within the home (i.e. running toilet OR in ground sprinkler systems) only main water line.


Water rates are set according to the Fees Bylaw, while municipal responsibilities are outlined in the Waterworks Bylaw. View all Municipal Bylaws


You can securely access all of your North Cowichan accounts online, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at www.northcowichan.ca/MyMuni. View tax account information, water consumption, utilities history, dog licences, and business licences. All you need is a copy of your bill for the account number you want to register and then create a profile to register your accounts.