Frequently Asked Questions

How can I find out when my garbage, organics and recyclables will be collected?

Check out the Curbside Collection page for information about curbside services, frequently asked questions, schedules, and search for accepted materials with the Waste Wizard! 

Where can I dispose of old appliances, paint, cardboard, etc?

The Waste Wizard or the Curbside Collection smartphone app, informs residents of refuse streams and location of local depots. Find more info on this on the Curbside Collection page. You can also visit Garbage & Recycling | Cowichan Valley Regional District ( or phone the CVRD Recycling Hotline 250-746-2540.

Where can I find bus routes for the Cowichan Valley?

Bus schedules are available online from BC Transit at They can also be picked up at the Cowichan Centre (Island Savings Centre, 2687 James Street).

What should I do if I find a dead deer (or other large animals) on my property?

The Municipality is not permitted to enter private property to collect carcasses. If the carcass is on the road allowance, then residents can phone the Operations Department's main number, 250.746.3106, to arrange pickup. You may bring the carcass to the road allowance and then call the Municipality. Alternatively, you can cover the carcass with lime and bury it on your property. You can Report a Problem online and view more contact information.  Please be advised that there is a virus affecting local coastal deer that can be fatal.  Precautions in moving and handling deceased deer should be taken to prevent the spread of the disease.  For more information, review the Adenovirus Hemorrhagic Disease in Deer BC Wildlife Health Fact Sheet [PDF - 109 KB].

How do I change or update the Title of my property?

Changes to land titles must be submitted to the Land Title Office (Suite 200, 1321 Blanshard St, Victoria, BC, V8W 9J3). The phone number is 1-877-577-LTSA (5872) and the website is A few weeks after the changes are recorded by the Land Title Office, the amendments will be sent to the Municipality.

What are the phone numbers for neighbouring local governments?

  • Cowichan Valley Regional District 250-746-2500
  • City of Duncan 250-746-6126
  • Town of Ladysmith 250-245-6400

Who do I call if I see a bear?

Please phone the Conservation Officer at 250-746-1236.

Who do I call before I dig?

Call BC One-Call 1-800-474-6886.

When can I burn in my backyard?

Residential backyard burning can be done between March 15 through April 15, and October 15 through November 15.  Please see our Air Quality webpage for more information.