Mayor & Council
North Cowichan is governed by a Municipal Council comprised of a Mayor and six Councillors. Under the Community Charter, a municipal council must provide good government; services its citizens need and want; stewardship for its public assets; and a positive economic, social and environmental climate.
Regular Council meetings are generally held on the first and third Wednesday of the month at 1:30 p.m. Public Hearings www.northcowichan.ca/publichearings are held on the third Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. when required. Committee of the Whole meetings are held on the second Tuesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. and are also scheduled on an as-needed basis. These meetings are open to the public. Please follow the link to view the 2021 Council Calendar, but please check the live event calendar for any last-minute changes. If you would like to appear as a delegation before Council, please complete a delegation request.
View details of the Current Council for a list of committee appointments and contact information.
Responsibilities of Mayor
The mayor is the head and chief executive officer of the municipality. In addition to the mayor's responsibilities as a member of council, the mayor has the following responsibilities:
- to provide leadership to the council, including by recommending bylaws, resolutions and other measures that, in the mayor's opinion, may assist the peace, order and good government of the municipality
- to communicate information to the council
- to preside at council meetings when in attendance
- to provide, on behalf of the council, general direction to municipal officers respecting implementation of municipal policies, programs and other directions of the council
- to establish standing committees in accordance with the Community Charter
- to suspend municipal officers and employees in accordance with the Community Charter
- to reflect the will of council and to carry out other duties on behalf of the council
- to carry out other duties assigned by or under legislation
Responsibilities of Council Members
Council members have the following responsibilities:
- to consider the well-being and interests of the municipality and its community
- to contribute to the development and evaluation of the policies and programs of the municipality respecting its services and other activities
- to participate in council meetings, committee meetings and meetings of other bodies to which the member is appointed
- to carry out other duties assigned by the council
- to carry out other duties assigned by or under the legislation