Click here for the latest information on the Chemainus Road Corridor Upgrade Project.
Restrictions on Backyard Burning - October 15 to November 15
October 9, 2014Backyard burning is permitted in all zones from March 15 to April 15 and October 15 to November 15 with the following restrictions:
- No fire may be burned that produces heavy smoke or fumes, interferes with the normal use or enjoyment of life or property, endangers the health, safety, or welfare of persons or animals, or damages plants or property.
- ONLY burn when the ventilation index is "GOOD" for both the current and following days from theBC Air Quality Venting Index. (scroll down to view "SRN VANCOUVER ISLAND").
- Fires must be a minimum of 10 metres (33 feet) from all property lines (this requires a 1/2 acre lot) and 4 metres (13 feet) from any structures or flammable or combustible material.
- Fires may only burn during daylight hours. The fire may not be more than 2 metres (6.5 feet) in diameter and 2 metres (6.5 feet) in height.
- Burned material must be from the land where the fire is located.
- ONLY untreated natural wood and brush may be burned.
- NO burning of any chemical or material including oil, tar, rubber, plastic, or fertilizer or any construction or demolition waste, treated wood, grass, leaves or materials referred to as garbage or refuse.
- Please remember there must be firefighting equipment available on hand including at least one shovel, rake and garden hose connected to a water source.
Please be aware of theFire Protection Bylaw.
For further information, please refer to our website pages onBackyard Burning.