Learn more about North Cowichan's response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Referendum on Amalgamation to take place June 23
April 5, 2018
(Duncan and North Cowichan, BC) The Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing has called a referendum vote for Saturday, June 23, 2018 on the possible amalgamation of the Municipality of North Cowichan and the City of Duncan.
An impartial information campaign led by an external consultant will begin in May to provide information to the public in the weeks leading up to June 23. Residents will be able to seek answers to their questions through a number of channels, including a dedicated website, a call-in line and several open houses, to then determine for themselves whether the two municipalities should amalgamate.
We have been anticipating the arrival of this letter and are pleased that the Province has declared a referendum date, says Jon Lefebure, Mayor of North Cowichan. Residents now have the opportunity to shape the future of our communities and we are eager to learn the result of their votes.
It is very important that people become fully informed and seek clarification on any remaining questions they may have. I encourage everyone to participate fully in the process and then make their own determination, says City of Duncan Mayor Phil Kent.
As part of the 2014 Municipal elections, both Duncan and North Cowichan Councils agreed to include a non-binding question on the ballot seeking interest in exploring amalgamation of the two municipalities. In North Cowichan, 68% of electors and in Duncan, 52% of electors voted in favour of conducting an amalgamation study.
In May 2017, a Citizens Assembly on Municipal Amalgamation recommended to both Councils that Duncan and North Cowichan amalgamate into a single municipality. Duncan and North Cowichan Councils neither endorse nor oppose amalgamation, and responded to the Citizens Assembly recommendation by sending a letter to the Provincial government requesting that a referendum on amalgamation be held in the spring of 2018.
- Website: Duncan-North Cowichan Citizens Assembly on Amalgamation
- Citizens' Assembly's Final Report and Recommendation
- Urban Systems' Technical Report
Previous News Releases
- Duncan and North Cowichan to Hold Amalgamation Referendum Spring 2018 (September 2017)
- Duncan-North Cowichan Citizens Assembly Recommends Amalgamation (May 2017)
- Duncan-North Cowichan Citizens Assembly Reaches Midway Point; Second Public Meeting Scheduled for April 6 (March 2017)
- Duncan-North Cowichan Citizens Assembly Gets Underway (January 2017)
- Residents Invited to Join Citizens Assembly on Municipal Amalgamation (December 2016)
- Provincial Funding Approved for North Cowichan and Duncan Amalgamation Study (September 2016)