Learn more about North Cowichan's response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
North Cowichan Sets 2.95% Tax Increase and Adopts Financial Plan
May 2, 2019
(North Cowichan) – North Cowichan Council has adopted a 2019-2023 Financial Plan and a 2019 net property tax increase of 2.95%.
“Council and staff worked diligently to keep the overall tax increase as low as possible, while continuing to maintain and expand services delivered to the community,” says Mayor Al Siebring. “More and more challenges are being encountered at the community level, and local governments are being compelled to thoughtfully consider the services we deliver. Our work now expands well beyond infrastructure.”
The 2.95% tax increase will cost $49 for a residential property with the average assessed value of $445,352 in North Cowichan (2018 assessment average).
Major projects in the 2019 budget include:
- Early work on new RCMP detachment ($11M)
- Design for replacing South End water trunk main with earthquake-resistant material ($2.93M)
- Chemainus Road improvements, roundabout, watermain replacement, and sewermain replacement ($3.59M)
- Sportsplex Field House ($1.46M – only if Federal/Provincial grant is received)
- New pump station at Maple Bay Road and Churchill Road ($1.4M)
- Completion of Murchie Road in Stoney Hill ($552,000)
- Cowichan Lake Road widening ($536,000)
- Fuller Lake Arena compressor upgrade ($510,000)
- Canada Avenue settlement repair near Philip Street ($412,500)
- Design for Canada Avenue friendship trail from Sherman Road to Philip Street, including two new bridges and widening to accommodate bike lanes on one side ($400,000)
- Fire vehicle replacements ($340,000)
- Xtreme Skate Park expansion ($209,475 - completed)
- Replacement of water tie-ins on Crofton Road near Chaplin Street in advance of Provincial paving of Crofton Road ($100,000)
- Sanitary sewer main replacement in the laneway bounded by Arthur, Robert, York, and Emily Street ($100,000)
For more information, please contact:
Al Siebring, Mayor
Municipality of North Cowichan