Click here for the latest information on the Chemainus Road Corridor Upgrade Project.
Residents Asked to Join North Cowichan in Journey to Update Official Community Plan
July 25, 2019
(North Cowichan, BC) – What is an Official Community Plan and why should I care? An Official Community Plan (OCP) establishes the vision for how our community will grow in the future and provides guidance on how to get there. It sets out goals to shape our future in a way that is healthy and sustainable and provides a high quality of life for current and future residents. Essentially, it’s about who we are and where we want to go.
North Cowichan’s OCP was last updated in 2011 and it needs a refresh. This project was identified as a top priority in the 2019-2022 Council Strategic Plan, and Council is excited to be kicking it off this summer.
“The backbone of a successful OCP is community support,” says Mayor Al Siebring. “An OCP guides all of us towards a goal, towards a desired future. There will be many opportunities for citizens to tell us what they envision for the future, and we invite all North Cowichan residents to get involved in this process. It’s only with YOUR input that we can together create a shared, meaningful plan.”
This summer, there are two important ways to get involved in launching the OCP Project:
- Become a member of the OCP Advisory Group or Community Ambassador Team!
- OCP Advisory Group: Seeking residents with experience and knowledge in key business and community sectors to provide advice to staff through all phases of the OCP Project process.
- Community Ambassador Team: Seeking residents that represent the various geographies and neighbourhoods across North Cowichan (i.e. Quamichan, Berkey’s Corner, Maple Bay, Crofton, etc.) to inform the OCP Project by liaising with their neighbourhoods and providing community-specific information through the process.
- Help design the OCP Project logo and tagline in a friendly community competition!
- Between July 24 and September 11, we invite North Cowichan artists and residents to submit suggestions for a logo and tagline that will be used on all OCP materials for the duration of the project. Following the submission period, all entries will be posted on PlaceSpeak, North Cowichan’s online engagement platform, for North Cowichan residents to vote on their preferred option. A $250 prize will be awarded for the chosen logo, and another $250 prize will be awarded for the chosen tagline.
There will be ongoing opportunities to learn about the OCP Project and provide your input over the coming months. Please be part of shaping the future of this community!
- Application form for the OCP Advisory Group and the Community Ambassador Team
- Logo and tagline contest rules
- OCP Project Webpage
- Sign up for the “Official Community Plan Project” Newsletter for ongoing OCP updates
For more information, please contact:
Al Siebring, Mayor
Municipality of North Cowichan