We are exploring options for the management of the Municipal Forest Reserve, and we want to hear from you!
‘Plan your escape’ during Fire Prevention Week
October 7, 2022
(North Cowichan, BC) – Fire Prevention Week takes place October 9 to 15, and 2022 marks the 100th anniversary of the annual public safety event. This year’s theme is ‘Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape.’ and it encourages people to develop and practice a home escape plan with their family or household.
“Three-quarters of fire-related deaths happen at home, so having a plan to get out can mean the difference between life and death,” said Greg McCrea, Fire Prevention Captain with the North Cowichan Fire Department. “Fire Prevention Week is a great opportunity to make a home escape plan, and practice the plan with everyone in your household.”
Some other fire prevention tips to keep in mind include:
- Make sure your home escape plan meets the needs of all your family members, including those with sensory or physical disabilities.
- Smoke alarms should be installed inside every sleeping room, outside each separate sleeping area, and on every level of your home. Smoke alarms should be interconnected so that when one sounds, they all sound.
- Know at least two ways out of every room, if possible. Make sure all doors and windows open easily.
- Have an outside meeting place safe from your home where everyone should meet.
- Practice your home fire drill at least twice a year with everyone in the household, including guests. Practice at least once during the day and at night.
Fire Prevention Week is an annual campaign of the National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA) and has been taking place since 1922. The NFPA educates people about the leading risks of home fires and how they can better protect themselves and their loved ones. Cowichan Valley fire departments, including North Cowichan, play a key role in bringing Fire Prevention Week to life in their communities and spreading basic but critical fire safety messages.
Greg McCrea, PhD, MPH
Fire Prevention Captain, North Cowichan Fire Department